In the UK, 1 in 5 adults are deaf or have hearing loss, and 1 in 8 have tinnitus.
Despite that, many people face the stigma of being treated as stupid, shouted at, or made fun of. There’s a frustrating lack of patience, empathy and understanding. Barriers to work, travel, socialising and communication take a toll on self-esteem and mental wellbeing, and cause social isolation. Day-to-day life is more difficult – and this needs to stop.
It’s a big challenge. But together, we can change things.
We are the charity making life fully inclusive for deaf people and those with hearing loss or tinnitus. Together, we campaign for an inclusive society. We connect people to practical advice and pioneer new treatments for hearing loss and tinnitus.
- We fund research to find a cure for hearing loss, and drive the development of new technology.
- We campaign to change public perception and policy for deaf people and those with hearing loss or tinnitus.
- We provide day-to-day support for deaf people and those with hearing loss or tinnitus
- We provide accessible information to help the people we support manage their condition and access their rights.
- We offer practical advice to help people protect their hearing.
- We supply communication services and training for people affected by hearing loss, including businesses.