National Autistic Society
The National Autistic Society is the leading UK charity for people with autism (including Asperger syndrome) and their families. We were founded in 1962 by a group of parents who were passionate about ensuring a better future for their children. Today we have 20,000 members, more than 100 branches.
Around 700,000 people in the UK have autism. Together with their families they make up around 2.8 million people whose lives are touched by autism every single day. We provide information, support and pioneering services, and campaign for a better world for people with autism.
Our vision is a world where all people living with autism get to lead the life they choose. This means a world where everyone living with autism:
- gets the support, education and training they need
- lives with dignity and as independently as possible
- feels part of their community and wider society
- is understood by all professionals who support them
- is respected for who they are by a knowledgeable public.